Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Versatile Blogger Award

Behold:

The Versatile Blogger is the first formal writing award I have received in my adult life.  If I knew enough about technology to add sound to create a "ta-dam" sound, I would have.

I was in shock when A Mountain Momma, a total stranger and funny Canadian, bestowed this great honor upon yours truly.  This is a mother of two who just got accepted to graduate school.  She is both talented and brave, and her blog is hilarious.

Instead of the usual "I'd like to thank the academy..." speech, where I don a hot red dress while Joan Rivers mocks me*,  I am hereby obligated to share 7 facts about myself to you, lovely readers who are just discovering this blog.  So here are 7 facts about me and my writing.

1.  My "writing" career began in elementary school with some poems my 3rd grade teacher made a big fuss about.  In 5th grade I wrote a "book" that spontaneously became our class play.  People still laugh at my pinata scene.  And by people I mean me.

2.  In junior high I started a writing club and the school liked it so much they made up some fancy award for me.  No, seriously.  They did.

3.  In 11th grade I took my writing to the next level by adding beautiful stick figure illustrations.  Together with a writing partner, we turned it into a regular comic series that was featured in every mock school newspaper issue.

4. In college I wrote a mockumentary expose on our cafeteria workers in the Punch Bowl.  I also wrote a killer paper for my management class on the gaming industry.  Wynn resorts proudly provided marketing material to this 19-year old future gambler of America.  Thanks, Poker peeps!

5. I don't write in the third person for anonymity, I just do it because use of the royal "we" cracks me up. 

6.  I am one of less than 1% of mothers who don't post pictures of their kids on Facebook or on their blog.  I know this because I work in advertising where I learn and quote statistics like this on a regular basis.  I do this because of future pedophiles.  And yes, I know that makes me one of the top .5% most neurotic mothers in the country.  I'm nothing if not a competitive overachiever.

7.  I know this will be hard to believe, but my name is not actually Poker Chick.  People IRL call me Michelle.

Despite all of the above, it's taken 5 years of blogging, one amazing writing group, a mentor, a screenplay, and one fancy blogging award to start thinking of myself as a real writer.

As an award-winning writer, I am proud to introduce these 15 amazing writers who you may not know. 

Emily
Emily is one of my oldest and dearest friends.  She works her ass off and is smarter than 99% of people you'll ever meet.  In the "yay for you" category, she tells a good story. 

Gray Matter Matters
A former ad chick and (together with Tina Fey), my female-comedy soul-mate, Betsy will entertain you and keep you on top of modern technology to boot.

Bern This
Jessica is just effin' hilarious.  'Nuff said.  

Nut Free Mom
A writer, speaker and expert on raising kids with food allergies.  Jenny's blog is really informative.

Allergic Kid
Not only is Libby's site an awesome place for school lunch ideas, she's also helped call national media attention to a family in Florida that was picketed for trying to protect their peanut-allergic 1st grader in school.  You go girl.

Working mothers break
Katrina's not exactly unknown in the blogosphere, but if she's new to you then you should check her out.  She's trying to make the US workforce more family-friendly, and her honesty is refreshing.

Laid off dad
Have been following his thought-provoking posts for a while.   Plus, you gotta have a token dad in the mix.

Allergic Girl
Have been a fan of Sloane's blog for years.  She's becoming famous so go visit while you still have a chance at your comments being noticed.

Mouthy housewives
These women have been neglecting their families to give you advice since 2009.

Food Allergy Mama
Aside from kick-ass recipes, Kelly takes pictures that will make your mouth water.  Plus, anyone that can write a book while raising FOUR kids warrants serious respect.  

Working moms against guilt
Great resource for working moms. 

Nancy Davishko
Nancy is a new find; and she's just hilarious.  Also, she uses the word "Malarkey". 

Walking with scissors
Another self-professed overprotective mom.  So I have to like her.  Also, she's funny. So there's that.

Chicky chicky baby
Tania is funny enough that I forgive her for being one of those people that do family Christmas cards.

Michele Lewis
A mother who's also a professional poker player? My hero.

Thank you again, Theresa!  You've rendered me totally verklempt.  And that word wasn't in spell check, either.

*Funny, but can't take the credit for that joke.

5 comments:

emily said...

Thanks, babe. Needed this tonight.

A Mountain Momma said...

Hey, you are welcome. So happy to share the love, I think your blog and your posts are great.

Thank you for supporting my blog and visiting, commenting, giving me support. It is much appreciated.

Sounds like you have been a writer for a long time, own it baby!

Lynn @ Walking With Scissors said...

Thanks for the award! And also for giving me a new blog fix. I love finding new voices to read. Plus, my daughter is allergic to peanuts so some of your other picks are now on my must-read list!!

Nancy Davis Kho said...

i THOUGHT the highlight of my night was that my husband of 18 years made his second-ever dinner reservation and took me out to celebrate my ScaryMommy.com guest post. Turns out, that was just warm up for The Versatile Blogger Award. Bless you and thank you for enjoying the word "Malarkey" as much as I do!

Susan said...

Thank you for the award and shoutout! - Susan from Working Moms Against Guilt